Sunday, February 7, 2010

Would this be false imprisonment under tort law in Michigan?

If a company (or a particular branch of a business) has a regular habit of having the nighttime manager lock the doors at closing time then require employees to wait to be let out, could it be construed as false imprisonment under tort law? I am not talking 5 minutes or even 10, but sometimes between 15 and 30 minutes? I don't want to sue, just have enough to back me when I say HEY my feet are tired, you aren't paying me anymore because you made me punch out and I want to go home. The doors are locked and alarms set. There are fire exits, however to use one would trigger an alarm and would likely result in disciplinary action for compromising security. This is a retail store.





My feelings are that the manager knows when people are scheduled to get off based on the schedule and SHOULD be at the door within 5 minutes of that time to let people out. Any thoughts?Would this be false imprisonment under tort law in Michigan?
It actually is not false imprisonment or unlawful confinement. However you may have an issue to talk about the department of labor about. It does not seem to be anything illegal, but maybe borderline.Would this be false imprisonment under tort law in Michigan?
Wow. That doesn't sound legal at all. I don't know about ';tort law,'; but they're probably breaking some kind of law. Since it's a crime to set off a fire alarm in absence of a fire, they're creating a situation where you'd have to break a law just to go outside. Maybe you should call OSHA?

No comments:

Post a Comment