Thursday, February 4, 2010

False imprisonment?

what percentage, would you say, of people doing hard time in our prison system are actually innocent?False imprisonment?
It is extremely low. The system is not fool-proof, literally.


There are certainly people that are in jail that have not committed the crime they have been convicted of. But what is our alternative, have no sentences or punishment to save those people? In my opinion, the risk doesnt outweigh the reward.


There are organizations out there that use new evidence and technology to get innocent people out of jail such as The Innocence Project. These organizations believe that our CJ system works but they also know it is not fool proof as I mentioned.


I dont have a reference or citation but from my education, I think the percentage is well below 1%. It is a difficult and next-to-impossible thing to measure because if they were indeed innocent, they wouldnt be in jail! I hope that makes sense to you, every answer you get on here will be a guess or an opinion.False imprisonment?
Among gangs, there is a reward for doing time for someone else even if that person is innocent but took ';the fall'; for someone else to prevent someone else from going away for a long time.





DNA has also exonerated people who have been locked up for years.





As other posters mentioned, 1% sounds realistic but in a prison population of almost 4 million, that's 40,000 possible innocent people. Every person in prison has been tried and convicted beyond a reasonable doubt - even the prosecutor put away the ';falsely'; convicted gang member who's doing time for someone else. I would put the number at .25% or 10,000 people.
.000001%
Extremely low. I would say less then 1%.
I WOULD GUESS ABOUT 20%

No comments:

Post a Comment