Thursday, February 4, 2010

If I hide a bear trap in my car and catch a car thief can I be held liable for false imprisonment?

Could that be a form of citizens arrest if I were to call the police. I want to place a decoy car with a hide bear trap disguised as the gas pedal to trap car thieves. Would it be legally wrong for me to do it? Is it state (SC) specific?If I hide a bear trap in my car and catch a car thief can I be held liable for false imprisonment?
Its legally wrong, if its intended to hurt a person. There was a man who's store was rob multiple times. He boobie trapped the store and hurt the crook. THe man went to jail for bbobie trapping the store.If I hide a bear trap in my car and catch a car thief can I be held liable for false imprisonment?
Legally, you are right in catching a thief using a bear trap because the act of catching was legitimate for you own your car where the culprit is trying to rob.
In answer to your question, you state to catch a car thief, well what makes you so sure that it will be a car thief who breaks in you car? What if it is a homeless person looking for shelter? It's legally wrong to do this, but the final action lies with you, but remember, if I was caught in your trap, I'd sue you like crazy, a good lawyer will take all possessions away from you and you would go to jail. You would most likely be charged with kidnapping since you are taking the freedom away from someone through the use of force.
Yipe! You would be in big trouble!!!
booby traps incur strict liability (doesn't matter if the person hurt is breaking the law) in tort law (personal injury law) and you would also expose yourself to criminal liability for charges like wanton endangerment, malicious wounding, etc
No, but you could be sued for endangerment. I don't agree with it, but plenty of people get hurt on other's property and sue, even if it was their own fault.
You can't set a mechanical trap intended for humans, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment